Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Promiser

By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.  Hebrews 11:8

It's true.  I am going to Africa in a little over a month.  I am going to a place I have no idea about.  Not. A. Clue.  I am hearing stories and learning names, but yet I really have no idea.  Just prayers for people I don't yet know, but God does.  Prayers for our group.  Prayers for safety, cohesion, and open hearts.  He knows what we need.  I certainly don't.

I admit it.  I'm scared.  Scared of all of the unknowns.  But, I am learning to trust in the LORD of agape (perfect) love who is going to cast out my fear.  1 John 4:18

"Abraham 'did not know where he was going' - it simply was enough for him to know he went with God.  He did not lean as much on the promises as he did on the Promiser.  And he did not look at the difficulties of his circumstances but looked to His King - the eternal, limitless, invisible, wise, and only God - who had reached down from His throne to direct his path and who would certainly prove Himself."  F.B. Meyer, Streams in the Desert

Is this true for me?  Is it enough for me to know that I am going with God, my Promiser?  Certainly, He has made it clear to me that he wants me to go to Africa.  I know, that I know, that I know.  He is making a way.  This morning, I realized I need to lean on the Promiser more than his promises.  His promises, have brought me to this point, but now it is time I lean on He who is the Promiser.  He who is my shepherd, my Abba Father.  "My King who is eternal, limitless, invisible, wise, and only God."  He who reached down from His throne to direct my path, not only in Africa, but beyond so he can continue to prove Himself-God.

How about you?  Do you trust the promises or the Promiser?


2 comments:

  1. Abby - your faith is an inspirtation. I had no clue you were heading to Africa. We need to catch up. Where in Africa are you going? How long will you be there. Don't worry, God will guide your footsteps, and quell your fears. Only from experience do we learn the true lessons of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, it's refreshing to hear about your struggles with fear of the unknown and how you are placing your trust in Christ to help you prepare and get through these trials. I hope the flight is a breeze and you have opportunities to share the gospel. We love you!

    ReplyDelete